The old adage “Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dine like a pauper”, is still as good advice for keeping your health issues in check and leading a healthy lifestyle. There is a lot of wisdom in this old saying… to sum it up, it simply means you should balance the amount of food you eat at each of your meals. Skipping meals is certainly not a good idea as is eating the wrong foods that can leave you tired and even affect your health. So, before you gorge on the most important meal of the day tomorrow, remember to include some of these in your diet.
A strict no-no for breakfast is high sugar, High Glycemic Index (GI) foods that can leave you insatiated for the day. Instead, you should include foods low in GI so that you feel fuller for longer time periods and don’t get an immediate slump.
Perfect Breakfast Ideas
• Oatmeal, flaxseed, blueberries and almonds: Microwave a bowl of oatmeal with some ground flaxseed, frozen blueberries, and sliced almonds. You can sprinkle some cinnamon and honey for extra flavor.
• A cup of fruit smoothie: Blend some strawberries and a banana. Add a cup of protein powder, toss in a big dollop of yogurt…and you have just the right combination for a great start.
• Scrambles tofu: Add your favorite vegetables to tofu. Stir fry with little black pepper and salt. You can have this with wholegrain toast.
• Egg lovers: If you are a fan of eggs, it’s a good idea to use organic eggs. You can simply boil and have or combine with some vegetables in the same way like scrambled tofu.
• Protein shake: Add a favorite fruit, some almond butter & oatmeal (optional) to low at milk. You can also blend some ground flaxseeds.
• Sweetened brown rice: Combine a spoonful of honey, some raisins, apple and cinnamon to a bowl of already cooked brown rice (preferably a night before) and enjoy a unique yet delicious meal. Cheese and fruit: You can add any fruit to low-fat cottage cheese and jump-start your day.
Needless to say, there are many more options that you can include for your first meal of the day.
What are your recipes for a healthy breakfast?